The building was reviewed in the Documentation of Historical Properties along the Gilpin Tunnel Rail Corridor, prepared for Gilpin County – DOWNLOAD THE PDF HERE; see the Stage Stop description on page 203.
Some excerpts from the report:
‘The “Stage Stop” was originally built in the 1860s as aToll Gate Barn by John Q.A Rollins and was one of the first permanent buildings on what was to become Main St. Rollinsville along with the hotel. The barn served to bed down horses for travelers heading down the toll road, and (Cotter 1962, Prospector, 1972). May have also been used as a stopover for cattle being transported over Rollins pass to be slaughtered in Black Hawk and Central City.’
‘The early ownership of this building begins with John Rollins, who transferred this along with all of his other holdings to Arthur Potter and Hal Sayre around 1903. The building came under the sole ownership of Sayre who then sold it to Ted Williams on an unknown date (Cotter, 1962). During the early twentieth century, the character of Rollinsville changed from, the dry mining camp that JQA Rollins once owned. In 1928, Rollinsville boasted three saloons, a pool hall, a blacksmiths shop, grocery store, an ice-house and a dance hall. A fire in the 1950s wiped out many of the original buildings in Rollinsville. The Stage stop was one of the few buildings to survive the fire.’